[or-roots] Location of Geo. Thomas's house in 1878, Clackamas County, Oregon

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Thu Oct 26 18:56:39 PDT 2006

Tom;

Probably you are looking for;

Unfortunately Soda Springs does not show up in USGS name locator, nor is one
shown in Clackamas county in my edition of McArthur's "Oregon Geographic
Names"

I have found a reference to it on Ancestry.com but I don't subscribe so
can't access thier info.

someone posted the 1890 census to the following;

http://www.geocities.com/possumlover3/GENEALOGY/census/oregon_clack_1890.htm

but George, the Inskeeps and Honrschuchs aren't listed there.

Okay, I begin to suspect that my problem is that Soda Springs that was in
Clackamas county is the same one now in Linn Co.?

http://ncbible.org/nwh/OrLinnNorth.html#sodasprings

Soda Springs

The location of this town is very uncertain. The church reported 14 members
in 1871. One of the problems is locating the town is that several places
right in Linn County had Soda Springs or a similar name.

Historian Doug Dornhecker of Lebanon wrote in his thesis that "It was
located near Sweet Home, close to the South Santiam River, northeast of
Foster." Oregon Geographic Names, 6th Edition, say "Soda Springs is shown on
old maps in the east part of T13S, R 1E, northeast of the present community
of Foster."

Also, there was a hotel and resort on the Old Santiam Wagon Road near
present day Cascadia called South Soda Springs. (There are soda springs at
Cascadia.)

Soda Springs does not show on the 1895 map of Linn County so the community
did not last long. It does show on the 1878 map of the Willamette Valley
included in Christians on the Oregon Trail, 2nd edition. (The maps do not
have page numbers and are in the center of the book.) That location is about
equal to the present-day Bellinger Scale Road, northeast of Waterloo. There
is a cemetery just off of that road, to the east and cemeteries sometimes
indicate that a number of people once lived in the area.

We will probably have to leave this mystery unsolved for the present, but
maybe some person in the vicinity can supply the missing pieces.

For some sense of how Soda Springs fit into the development of the church, a
letter written by Daniel W. Elledge provides insight:

After using the water of the Soda Springs for two weeks, my health greatly
improved. Bro. H. M. Waller is also stoping here with a sick daughter, has
preached every opertunity with much success since he came here. Up to this
time there has been 13 united together on the Bible by confession and
baptism. Bro. Waller is held in high esteem by the people living in this
neighboorhood as also by the multitude visiting the Springs. I expect "If
the Lord will," to start to Walla Walla the first of August, in company with
our venerable brother John M. Harris. I should have mentioned that our aged
and highly esteemed brother, Dr. McBride is also stoping here for health.
Allow me to tender my heart felt thanks to the many brethean and friends
that contributed liberally to our necessities while we were at the annual
meeting.
Your old pilgrim brother,
D. W. ELLEDGE.

We have retained the spelling and grammar of the original.
Mac Waller discusses his experiences at Soda Springs on this link.