[or-roots] Hanna question

JudyRobertson39 at aol.com JudyRobertson39 at aol.com
Sun Sep 3 16:26:35 PDT 2006

Ira Monroe Hanna came west by wagon train-year unknown.  He lived for  a time
in southwestern Oregon-Oakland area.  Is said to have fought in the  Rogue
Indian War. Eventually he settled in New Chicago Montana (south of
Drummond-north of Phillipsburg)  His wife was Sarah Alice Karnes (Carnes)  born 15 Dec
1854 in Lafitte Indiana.  Family tradition has it that she was  found with an
Indian tribe when she was 8-10 years of age and adopted by Joseph  Karnes and his
wife Lidia (Lydia) This is my daughter's in-law family.   They are interested
in knowing if the family tradition has any truth to it.(how  did they know
her date of birth and place of birth if she was found with an  Indian tribe(they
do not know which tribe or locality)  I have read a  variety of tales of
children stolen and adopted by various Indian bands but do  not remember the
details of any of them.  Can someone shed light?   Thanks, Judy Robertson