[or-roots] Oregon Historical Society Research Library

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net glenkc7mbm at comcast.net
Tue Feb 6 06:46:24 PST 2007

Marcus
Unfortunatly the Oregon Historical Society does not offer any free acess, and does not have a lot online they are just starting to digitalize many of their photos so maybe in the future they will be online.
A photo copy of a photo is .50 cents but mailing is $6.00.
A reprint of the photo on high quality photo paper is vastly more.
You might try the Oregon State Library online if you have not done so as they have a lot of photos online.
I am a Volunteer at OHS and will see what I can find the next time I work if it is not to busy.
Glen Jones Portland, Oregon

--
Glen A. Jones

From: mflansburg at comcast.net

Hello everyone,

I have some questions about the Oregon Historical Society Research Library.  I recently discovered a photocopy of a picture of one of my ancestors, Don A. Smith of Gates, Oregon.  The info on the photocopy says it came from the above library.

I tried to go online and see if they really have this picture:
http://www.ohs.org/collections/photographs/index.cfm
I can not access any type of list to see if they have this picture.  I live in Utah so I can't just go to the library and browse their catalog.  There is an email address to ask questions but I prefer to have the information at my disposal so I can mull things over.

In addition, the prices they charge to access their collection seem expensive.  I guess I have been spoiled by the BYU collection that you can access for free.  I just go to the following address:
http://www.lib.byu.edu/online.html
and type in the name of my Utah ancestors.  I have found about a dozen pictures of family that I did not know existed.  Am I looking in the wrong place on the OHRL site or do they not offer their pictures for free?

Thanks for your info and advice!!!

Marcus Flansburg
Logan, Utah