[or-roots] Nez Perce War

Harguess, Dale dharguess at coastline.edu
Wed Feb 7 10:52:11 PST 2007

When I was visiting my mother this weekend I was going through an old
box of mementos and found an old postcard that my grandmother had
collected.  The price of the postage was 1c so I think it was pretty
old.  It was published by some drugstore in Stikes Idaho and had a photo
of a bunch of cowboys in front of a barn or some sort of building.  The
caption said that the mountain behind the building was where the last
battle of the Nez Perce Indians was held with Chief Joseph leading the
attack.  I scanned it if anyone would like to see what it looked like.
It was pretty interesting to find.  I found 3 or four others that had
old photos on them but no explanation of what or who the photos were of.
My grandmother's aunt lived in Idaho so I think she collected them when
she visited her sometime around 1910.

Dale

A "must have" book on the subject of the Nez Perce is "The Nez Perce
Indians and the Opening of the Northwest" by Alvin M. Josephy, Jr.
original copyright 1965, my copy is 1997. Publisher credits listed as, A
mariner Book, Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, New York. Be sure it
says "complete and unabridged" on the cover.  It is in paperback $19.00.

It is an exhaustive work covering from the Lewis and Clark Corps of
Discovery in Nez Perce country through the war of 1877.  It contains
considerable detail of persons and events over those years.  Lots (tons)
of references, good maps, etc.

Glen,
I gather from your e-mail address you must be a Ham operator.  K7FGN
here.

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net wrote:

Judy

Can you give more info on the books, such as publisher and date
published, etc.

Supposedly Chief Joseph was my Great Great Uncle and I do trace my
family back to Chief James Moses of the Lapwai Band.

Glen Jones Portland, Or.

--
Glen A. Jones

	From: JudyRobertson39 at aol.com

	If anyone is researching ancestors who may have been involved on
either side of the Nez Perce war I recently read CRIES FROM THE EARTH,
and LAY THE MOUNTAINS LOW both written by Terry C Johnston.  They appear
to be very well documented and contain factual information concerning
that conflict and the individuals involved.  The 3rd book in the trilogy
is TURN THE STARS UPSIDE DOWN. Since Chief Joseph's original stomping
grounds were in Oregon I thought perhaps there would be some interest.

or-roots at sosinet.sos.state.or.us