[or-roots] Location of Geo. Thomas's house approximating

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Wed Jan 3 09:04:57 PST 2007

Tom;

I have pondered this before since the 1880 Census is fairly imprecise (most
of western Douglas Co is listed as Gardiner precinct) and I just hit on an
approximate solution. It will only work if two things prove out; You will
need to find a household on each side of George which has been continuously
occupied since 1860, as a first guess find one with children born in oregon,
ideally they have at least one slacker in the family who is still home in
adult hood;

J H QUINN   Self   M   Male   W   66   KY   Farmer   SC   SC
 Polly QUINN   Wife   M   Female   W   58   IN   Keeping House   KY   KY
 Charles K QUINN   Son      Male   W   15   OR   At School   ---   ---

Wait a minute, theseThomas's have been in Oregon for a long time, have you
searched for a homestead of theirs?

back to my point, the quinns are about 15 household away but just as a quick
check I was pretty sure I could find a homestead for them if they had one;

Patentees: JOSEPH H QUINN,		State: OREGON
POLLY QUINN 				Acres: 317.31
  						Metes/Bounds: No
  Survey

Title Transfer

Issue Date: 10/15/1873 		U.S. Reservations: No
Land Office: Oregon City 	Mineral Reservations: No
Cancelled: No
Authority: September 27, 1850: Oregon-Donation Act (grant) (99 Stat. 496)

 S½NW  1/  6-S  1-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas
 S½NE  2/  6-S  1-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas
 NENW  1/  6-S  1-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas
 NWNW  1/  6-S  1-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas
 NENE  2/  6-S  1-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas
 NWNE  2/  6-S  1-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas

If this doesn't mean anything to you I can explain how to read this but what
it means is the
Quinn place is about 3 miles straight east of Marquam. now if you can find
one of the closer households and can bracket them you will at least have an
approximation.

How about this, I assume this must be a the brother;

two doors up from George;

 Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation
Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
 Henry J THOMAS   Self   M   Male   W   26   OR   Farmer   NY   NY
 Mary R THOMAS   Wife   M   Female   W   24   OR   Keeps House   ---   ---
 Carrol THOMAS   Son   S   Male   W   4   W. T.      ---   ---
 Oslan THOMAS   Son   S   Male   W   2   W. T.      ---   ---

Source Information:
  Census Place Soda Springs, Clackamas, Oregon
  Family History Library Film   1255080
  NA Film Number   T9-1080
  Page Number   158C

Patentee: HENRY J THOMAS [the brother,? or the father]

  Survey 		State: OREGON		Acres: 160 Metes/Bounds: No

Title Transfer

Issue Date: 3/10/1888 		Land Office: Oregon City 	Cancelled: No 	U.S.
Reservations: No
Mineral Reservations: No 	Authority: May 20, 1862: Homestead EntryOriginal
(12 Stat. 392)

Parts Sec./
Block Township Range Fract.
Section Meridian State Counties Survey
Nr.
 N½SW  24/  6-S  2-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas
 SESW  24/  6-S  2-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas
 NWSE  24/  6-S  2-E  No  Willamette  OR  Clackamas

This puts them about a mile southeast of Maple Grove School, if you go to
yahoo maps and go to the intersection of Barstow Rd and S. Sawtell road you
will be close.

http://www.glorecords.blm.gov/PatentSearch/

is the Homestead search page,

USGS has changed their links again;

http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=162:1:3801039424808983879

gets you to a page where you can look for topo and aerial photos of the
location.

I need to get to work.