[or-roots] Mormons offer classes in genealogy

EugeneMelvin.ROOTS at comcast.net EugeneMelvin.ROOTS at comcast.net
Thu Jan 18 19:42:20 PST 2007

I saw this article in the Oregonian.  I am passing the information on for those who might be interested.  I have no connection with this project but I am interested in Genealogy.

Eugene

The Oregonian, dated January 17, 2007, page B-5

Mormons offer classes in genealogy

Beginning Saturday, budding genealogists have their choice of two free, 11-month courses on genealogy research and software.

Both classes will meet at 9 a. m. on the third Saturday of each month, until November, at the Stake Center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 14903 S.W. Westlake Drive, Lake Oswego.  Additional parking will be available at the office building across Kruse Way from the center.

The course is open to the general public without advance registration.  Church membership· is not required to attend.

In the research course, four genealogy experts from the Portland Area Personal Ancestral File Users Group will teach class members how to use the U.S. Census, immigration and naturalization records, land records, public libraries, and other sources.  In addition, they will discuss non-mainstream sources and clues for finding females in the family tree.

Simultaneously with the research class, Richard L. Halliday will offer a parallel class on how to build a computerized family history using the free Personal Ancestral File software.  The class will teach users how to install the software, enter data,' create pedigrees and print books, among other things.

For further, information about the classes, contact Halliday at 503-723-0632.