[or-roots] This library, that library, which library?

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net glenkc7mbm at comcast.net
Wed Mar 14 18:37:29 PDT 2007

The Library in Burns recently opened a new wing to house a large collection of books on Western America and Oregon, I have not been over their recently but there was quite a write up in the Oregonian last year about it.
Glen Portland

--
Glen A. Jones

From: Chris & Bill Strickland <lechevrier at earthlink.net>
Steve & Ronda Howard wrote:
Are there other places to research around Oregon?
My Gosh, yes!

Although I'm not a patron of the OGS library, so can't comment on its holdings, informnation is where you find it, and it doesn't have to be in Portland.

I really don't do much Oregon specific research, but several public libraries around the state have rather suprising holdings and somtimes support facilities -- the ones I found of note are Lake Oswego and Klamath County (in Klamath Falls). The new Wilsonville Library was built with good aspirations, and has electonic terminals dedicated for genealogical use and subscriptions to match, but the holdings are rather soft.

Nearly every local society has (or had, in some cases) some sort of library. Not all have the noteriety of  of Portland's Gen Forum or the OGS.  Take the Mt Hood Genealogy Club -- they used to meet at a private citizen's home and had a fair collection of Clackamas County specific information, but that group did not exceed the primary sponser's lifetime, it would seem -- what happened to the l;ibrary?  The Clackamas County Historical Society has  a nice little Genealogical Library  especially of  Early Oregon, and if what one is looking for is there, it is a great little place!

There is a not so little private library up in, I think, Summer (east of Pyuallup) in Washington -- same name as some slick published genealogy magazine -- the exact name is obviously escaping me, but then I know where it is and don't need the name to go there.

And the State Library in Salem

And every little local  LDS Family History Center will have an eclectic collection of interest to its patrons -- the Oregon City one has a Kentucky book (reprint) that I had only seen excerpts from with a story of how my 4th great grandfather was captured during the Battle of Blue Licks in 1782 and held captive by the Indians, French, and English for 8 months.

And, during good weather, one of the great libraries of all time is only a day's drive away -- the Family History Library in Salt Lake City (or two hours in the airplane) -- last time I looked, they didn't have that Kentucky book, so, as I said, information is where you find it -- it may be a little library in an out of the way place, but if they happen to have what you are looking for ...

And I am quite confidernt that there are other private holdings of which I am unaware.

Bill Strickland
Oregon City