[or-roots] Discontinued Ancestry.com Access to the Family History Centers

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Sun Mar 18 10:04:33 PDT 2007

Paulette

No, Ancestry.com is not "part" of the LDS church. Although, if memory serves me right, the founders of the
company were members of the church, and maybe some are now.

And, of course, you are not paying to see public records, per se, you are paying for the luxury of not
traveling to the courthouse in Lancaster, Garrard County, Kentucky, or the archives in Salem, Oregon, or
the NARA in Seattle. Not to mention, of course, some folks cannot travel anyway.

Of course, if you were to do that traveling, you would also have to pay for the copying costs of the
records, and the time to have them copied (assuming the copier isn't broken down) and hope you are in a
place where the copier makes decent, digitized copies. . . .

I agree this may seem expensive, but not if you have done it the "old" way.

Of course, all the computer searching in the world doesn't meet all of our genealogical needs, and there
is nothing like holding in your hand the marriage bond for your 4great-grandparents, but for most of what
we do, it at least gives us leads to follow up, and at a very reasonable cost, considering.

Pat (in Tucson)