[or-roots] Requirements for Tribal enrollment (was: Need a look up in 1930 census)

Marilyn Schwartz familyismytreasure at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 13:45:41 PDT 2008

Glen,

I have heard that some Tribes are changing the “blood quantum” requirement
from ¼ to less than that for tribal enrollment.  The logic I’ve heard for
this is because many Native Americans are marrying people of other ethnic
backgrounds, consequently fewer of their children are certifiably of ¼
Native American heritage.  Thus, some tribes are decreasing in numbers.

I did a little internet search regarding blood quantum and tribal enrollment
requirements, and found that the quantum requirement varies greatly from
Tribe to Tribe.  An article from the National Indian Law Library says the
following:  “Tribal Requirements:  Indian Tribes are sovereign and set their
own rules regarding tribal enrollment and membership. In order to find out
what requirements your Tribe has, contact the Tribe's main office or tribal
enrollment office.”  (See the entire article at
http://www.narf.org/nill/resources/enrollment.htm.)

You may be interested in another article I found, “Native American Roots,
Once Hidden, Now Embraced,” by Carol Morello, Washington Post,
Saturday 7 April 2001 (found at
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/41/391.html).  It explores the issue of
those with some distant family history of Indian heritage seeking their
roots – and tribal enrollment.

Marilyn S.

  _____