[or-roots] WWI Registration Card Question

Harguess, Dale dharguess at coastline.edu
Mon Oct 13 08:37:16 PDT 2008

Just a guess, maybe he didn't want to be in the Army and figured if he
wrote conflicting things they would reject him.

This isn't an Oregon related question, specifically, but thought someone
might be able to help.

I just located my grandfather's WWI registration card.

*	Item line #4   (1) Are you a natural born citizen (2) a
naturalized citizen  (3) an alien  (4) or have you declared your
intention (specify which),  and my grandfather writes: alien.

However,

*	Item line #5   Where were you born?  My grandfather writes:
Bronson  Kans  USA

And

*	Item line #6 If not a citizen, of what country are you a citizen
or subject? My grandfather writes:  Great Briton (sic)

My question, is there any particular reason that he would write
"alien"....and "citizen or subject of Great Briton"  yet state that he
was born in Kansas?

I do have another record that states his parent were both born in Ohio.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!!!

Julie