[or-roots] HARPOLE in 1851

albert belanger skipb at rcn.com
Mon Sep 15 16:55:44 PDT 2008

Bonjour, Gerrie,

Below is what I have collected in my Master List of 1851 O.T. Pioneers.
The initials between the –‘s are the sources from which I documented
their trek : - NP - is Nancy Prevost who sent me the HARPOLE info.; - SF
- is Stephenie Flora ;  - l&rm - refers to Lewis and Rachel (Jackson)
MILLER and the three  accounts I have of the Massacre Rock incident ; –
DLC – refers to the Donation Land Claim Harpole took out ; HRCW is Here
Rolled the Covered Wagons -- by Albert and Jane Salisbury in which is an
article:  “Massacre Rocks and Rock Creek Camp.”

Where I was not absolutely sure that a person was on the Trail that
year, I added a ?  If you have verification that Nancy, Paul, and Susan
were on the Trail in 1851 I’d sure like to add that documentation. If
you like, I’ll add your name and contact info to my list, in case
someone wants to contact you about sharing info.

Do you have any 1851 Trail journals or recollections that mention these
folks?

Your humble servant &c., &c.,

Albert

HARPOLE (Attacked at Massacre Rock) - HRCW -

HARPOLE, James Walker [Captain ] (Captain of 28 Wagon Train group) -
“WTME” - ; (Led train of 20 wagons attacked by Indians) - HO - ;  - l &
r m –

HARPOLE, Lafayette "Fleck" (1834 - 1916 in Brooks, Marion Co., OR ; s/o
William P. and Nancy  Mary [McMullen] ) - NP - ; - SF -

HARPOLE, Marion D. (b. 1831 Pike Co., IL; child of  William  P. and
Nancy  Mary [McMullen]; m’d Mary A. LIVERMORE Aug. 2, 1866 Polk Co., OR;
d. 1900 Yakima, WA; rejected DLC 4220; arrived Sept. 19, settled in
Marion Co., OR) - NP - ; (DLC #4220 ) - OR DLC 4 -

HARPOLE, Nancy (DLC #1882) - SF -
HARPOLE, Nancy E. ?  (b. ca. 1847-8; m’d John M. Hagey April 25, 1867 in
Marion Co.; child of  William P. and Nancy/Mary  [McMullen] ) - NP -

HARPOLE, Paul (1840 -1912 in Brooks, Marion Co., OR; child of William P.
and Nancy/Mary McMullen] )   - NP - ; m'd Grace VALENTINE Sept. 28,
1898) - SF -

HARPOLE, Susan ? (b. 1845; m’d Shaffer; child of William P. and
Nancy/Mary [McMullen] ) - NP -
HARPOLE, Thomas ?  (b. 1835;  d. Jan. 24, 1903 in Brooks, Marion Co., OR
; child of William P. and Nancy /  Mary [McMullen] ) - NP -

HARPOLE, William P. (Child of Paul P. and Barbara [Conrad];  b. Jan. 6,
1807 Wilson Co.,IN; m’d Oct. 19, 1829 Nancy Mary Mc MULLEN, b. Feb. 1808
in KY, d. March 21, 1906 in Marion Co., OR; d. May 17, 1862 in Marion
Co., OR; possibly went to OR first in 1847, then returned for children
in 1851, then returned east, remarried, and returned to OR) - N - ; (DLC
#1882) - SF - ; - OR DLC 1 -

HARPOOL [See HARPOLE]

HARPOON [See Harpole]

Albert Edward Belanger
128 Middle Road
Brentwood, NH 03833

Researching the 1851 Oregon Trail Migration