[or-roots] lumber carrier - no gen

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 15 17:22:49 PDT 2008

Leslie Chapman wrote:

>I think one of the reasons they aren't seem much any more is they were fairly dangerous.

And another would be that your basic forklift (jitney) is way more
versatile, i.e., higher resale value, and less expensive as an initial
investment and they now come in large industrial sizes.  Those rigs were
built for one job, and one job only and they just aren't any good for
much else, although I know someone who is trying to use one to handle a
Bonneville land speed record car. (to turn it around at the end of the
first run -- a very serious big record attempt)

I know of a story, probably true, out of Hyster, that they were able to
meet some government bid spec for the things by switching over to
Michelin radials -- faster, better fuel mileage, I don't recall -- it
was what sold me on radial tires Back When.

Bill Strickland