[or-roots] mach women and mill camps

Harguess, Dale dharguess at coastline.edu
Mon Sep 29 08:47:02 PDT 2008

I don't know where the camp was and am on a quest to try to find out.
As for her being strong emotionally, I am pretty sure she was.  She had
gotten married when she was 13 and promptly had two children and then
she ran off with her brother in law.  He was a lot older than she and I
think she was looking for adventure.  She had been a middle child and
had always been quite independent.  Hard work was what she knew best.
Eventually, she got one of her children back and after she married my
grandfather she had 3 more daughters.  I think when she was a teenager
she was wild (even by today's standards).
Dale

Dale;

Do you know what company she would have been working for? Or any
identification. Unfortunately a lot of mill /  logging camps had really
original identifying name like "Camp Four" or "Mile Thirteen" and are
really
hard to trace. I have a listing for one of my relatives, I forget
exactly
what or when, but all I know is "Camp Three" I don't know for sure what
county even, but am pretty sure it is in Oregon, I believe Coos County,
but
could be wrong.

As to your gram being "macho", perhaps not, but she had to be a pretty
strong woman to even survive as a cook in a logging camp in those days.
I am
thinking more in terms of personality here than physical strength.
Loggars
are definitely a rowdy bunch. It was interesting to me to discover that
my
Forestry Host Country co-workers in Peace Corps were just as raunchy as
any
American logger.