[or-roots] good old days

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sun Apr 5 13:49:54 PDT 2009

Ingrid;

For feathers they may have relied heavily on wild ducks and geese, though
that country looks a little dry, there are some streams and so forth. As to
milk, we used to run polled herfords, but usually had to do some milking of
some of them when the calves were young as they werent' "pure" for teh most
part and produced quite a bit more milk than the calves would take. I am
sure there were always some folks who had domestic versions of most stock
though.

I would think in that area you are "fairly" safe from volcanos, though I am
sure it was pretty miserable there for a while after St Helens blew it's
top, I don't remember exactly how far down wind that was a major problem, I
remember life was hell in Yakima and the damage to the fruit trees and crops
in Washington drove the Grange Insurance agency into bankruptcy, but I am
not sure it was a serious thing all the way to Idaho except for the first
few days. I Think you would be safer from direct eruption there than I am
here on the coast as the basalt flows that build most of the high desert
stopped quite a while ago.

Les