[or-roots] copyrights and sources

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue Apr 7 07:24:18 PDT 2009

Glen;

I have to agree with your comment about recording where information comes from 100%. I was real sloppy about that at first and some of the family files I started with that I got from Ancestry back when it was easier to access what people had given to them were only identified by the email addreess of the donee which usually was no good. So I have a lot of stuff in my family file that I really don't have a source for because of that, but when I realized it was foolish to rely on that sort or information if it wasn't backed up by any sources I realized how important sources were. Now that there is so much stuff online that people like Stephanie have provided I try to include the URL that I got each factoid from in my files where I am only keeping pieces of web sites, but haven't been real conscientous about including the name of the person doing the work.

If I save a whole page to my computer it usually has the copyright info at the top. But sometimes I still use parts of someone's family file if it "seems" well done and I cannot find the info elsewhere. I still find a family file now and then that I save and cannot find any clue to who created it, but usually I can chase that down. If I manage to chase down the author usually I will edit the web page and add thier name and the URL of their home page and or the page the file came from in the document.

I guess if I was smart I would go back through all my documents I have created by putting things together from various places and try to better document the who and where. SHUDDER!