[or-roots] Jeremiah and Miriam Tuller - Clatsop, Benton and Douglas Counties

cklooster at aol.com cklooster at aol.com
Sun Apr 19 20:34:09 PDT 2009

Actually this family graveyard is quite a distance from Tiller...it's on the "back road" to Glendale that follows the railroad and Cow Creek out of Riddle...and much closer to Glendale than Riddle.? It is interesting to mark the migration of some of the early pioneers who first settled in the northern part of the state and then pulled up stakes to start all over again in Southern Oregon.? I've found a number of them who had established homesteads in the Willamette valley in the 1840's/50's but ten or twenty years later are found in what are now Douglas, Jackson, and Josephine Counties.? I'm guessing that they were able to sell their original homesteads at a profit and moved to a place where more free land was available...or maybe they were just the "grass is greener" adventure-types.? And of course there was the brief gold rush in Douglas County as well as the speculation about the routes of the railroads to draw the entrepreneurs among them.

Carla