[or-roots] Need research help

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Sun Jan 4 21:10:39 PST 2009

This is not exactly an Oregon problem -- because we came to Oregon in 1947
-- and my problem
is in 1920.

My father, Harold Kenneth Umpleby was born in Harper Co., KS, 17 Sep  1908

His father was William Grant Umpleby, born in Ohlman, Montgomery Co., IL,  28
May 1868
married 29 Sep 1892 to
Caroline "Carrie" Barnstable, b. near Ohlman, Montgomery Co., IL, 2 Apr  1870

I can not find this family in the 1920 U.S. Census. They should be in
Kansas, probably Harper Co.
I have searched two townships in Harper County, page by page.
I just scrolled through Ancestry.com's Soundex for 1920 -- 1,515 names
    all without success.

In 1910 they were in Berlin Twp., Harper Co., KS
In 1930 they were in Berlin Twp., Harper Co., KS

There are some creative misspellings of the name out there, but nothing
seems to work. I do not have access to Heritage Quest to see if they have  indexed
it differently.

I know there are some extremely good researchers in this group who love
nothing more than to solve
a good mystery. Well, here is one!

Linda (Umpleby) VanOrden
Junction City, OR