[or-roots] Bill Scott - clarification

Sue Steward ssteward at ccountry.net
Mon Jan 19 14:36:47 PST 2009

The obit doesn't mention children so I assume there were none, otherwise I'd have your sister-in-law have the children request a copy of the death certificate.

WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO ORDER A DEATH, MARRIAGE, DIVORCE OR DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE  Access to death, marriage, divorce and domestic partnership records filed in the State Vital Records office is restricted for 50 years after the date of the event to family members and their legal representatives, persons or organizations with a personal or property right, government agencies and persons licensed in Oregon under ORS 703.430. When ordering a death, marriage, divorce or domestic partnership record, you must state your relationship to the registrant, or your reason for needing the record. If you are a legal representative of a family member, include whom you represent and how they are related to the person named on the record. If you have a personal or property right, explain why you need the record. If you are not eligible to order the record, please include a permission note with the notarized signature of an eligible person.   Does she have any information to indicate he had an insurance policy or something that named her as beneficiary which might require a death certificate to claim?  Did they own joint property that she needs to have his name removed or any similar type situation?

I personally would give it a shot and contact the funeral home and see if she can accomplish anything that way.

I know you said his family is "different" and didn't notify her.  My other suggestion would be to contact one of the sisters if she had any kind of relationship with them and see what she could find out.

Good luck!
Sue