[or-roots] Umatilla County Resources - Pendleton

Denise Sproed denisesproed at onlinenw.com
Fri Jun 5 12:12:28 PDT 2009

I thought I would share a short report on resources in Umatilla County.  A chain of circumstances occurred so that I was traveling through Pendleton mid-day so I stopped at the Olney Cemetery office.  I've never been up to walking the entire cemetery to locate my relatives graves.  The ladies in the office were very gracious and helpful and in the end I copied their Excel sheet file so I could continue to work on extracting the 27 relatives details and possibly find some others (so far I have 30 so I found 3 more).  I then stopped at the Museum in Pendleton (at a train station) and they have family surname files as well as photo files.  Then I stopped at the Pendleton Public Library.  They have a nice obituary file that I believe covered from the mid-1980's forward (can't recall the exact year) and a family file as well as the Genealogy Society book collection.  They also have the Eastern Oregonian on microfilm.   Unfortunately I only had 30 minutes there but I enjoyed learning more about the resources.  Thought I would share in case anyone else gets to pass thru Pendleton and has a few moments to do research.  The people in Pendleton were ALL very gracious and helpful.

Denise Sproed Merritt

The web page I made for my parents is at:  http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~merritt/

My genealogy related pages are at:
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~merritt/
and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~merritt/
The latter created using John Cardinal's Second Site

User of The Master Genealogist (TMG) http://www.whollygenes.com/