[or-roots] Marion and Linn Counties 1876 Atlas

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Tue Jun 9 07:54:41 PDT 2009

Well, I've returned from my trip to Portland and environs -- pretty
successful, I think.

I did leave off the "then" and "now" maps of T06SR01W at Mt. Angel Abbey,
Mt. Angel Library, and Silverton Library!

I also was able to scan all the maps from an original 1876 Atlas of Marion
and Linn Counties -- in color, full size, 600dpi. Had to be done in pieces,
so I'm now stitching them together.

So far, I have stitched together the "State of Oregon" map - which comes out
to 500 megabytes as a Photoshop file, and 55 when I saved it to a PDF. Hmmm.

It is 18x28"  and, if I do say so, gorgeous.  But, what to do with it.
First, I'm going to truck myself down to FedExKinkos and see what it will
cost to print it out on various papers.

Obviously I'm not going to be e-mailing it as an attachment to anyone, but
if someone has an idea, and wants it, let me know.

Today I'm going to stitch together some of the other maps of the various
districts.  The color makes all the difference in these maps, compared with
the 2004 reproduction.

I didn't scan the pages with images and data, as it was taking 'way too much
time as it was. Perhaps another time.

If someone had a "sacrificed" copy, the whole process would be much easier,
as you could use a "roller" scanner such as they use for building plans and
such.

Oh, well.  All in all a good trip.

And, for those who remember that I was looking for Andrew Jackson Richardson
-- the probate at the Archives gave me everything I need. He did, indeed,
die in Union County in 1880. And all the children were named (variously, I
find) in a probate that covered from 1880 to about 1898. So, I can put that
one to rest.

Pat
In Tucson