[or-roots] James & Sarah Howell

Harguess, Dale dharguess at coastline.edu
Thu Jun 11 09:20:29 PDT 2009

Hello Ingrid,

These dates match the closest with what I have.

I have James Ellison Howell b: ca 1802 Tennessee

Married first wife Hettie Carroll 23 Dec. 1830 in Monroe County, Indiana

She died 23 Aug. 1834 after giving birth to two sons: Andrew Jefferson
Howell b: 15 May 1832 and Stanford Howell b: 24 Jan 1834 Andrew was born
in Terre Haute, Indiana and Stanford was born in Springfield, Sangamon
County, Illinois.

James moved around a lot.  He was a Mason by trade but also farmed and
worked as a teamster.

After Hettie died he married Sarah ? on April 5, 1835  Sarah was born in
Virginia 27 Aug 1815

They moved to Arkansas where James died ca 1862

Sarah and James had thirteen children: Adeline, Carroll, Charlotte,
James, Mary H., John Wiley, Lafayette, Doctor Carswell, (yes his first
name was Doctor, he was not a physician) Preston, Sarah, Thomas,
Margarete Z., and William Howell. Adeline, Charlotte and Mary remained
in Arkansas where they were all born.

Adeline married Lafayette Marrs, Charlotte married Cicero Rogers and
Mary married James L. Marrs.

The interesting thing about the naming patterns is that both the Howells
and the Marrs named their children Adeline, Lafayette, William and
James.  In addition to that Stanford Howells second wife's name was also
Adeline.  I don't know if these were just very common names at the time
or what.

Stanford and his brother Andrew both had daughters named Hettie Howell
(fun huh?)

I love this list they are the greatest people and most serious
genealogists of any list I am on.

Thanks,

Dale