[or-roots] Skaggit - Montag

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Thu Jun 11 20:28:01 PDT 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: or-roots-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
[mailto:or-roots-bounces at listsmart.osl.state.or.us]On Behalf Of Marilyn
Schwartz
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 7:24 PM
To: 'or-roots mail list'
Subject: Re: [or-roots] Mispronunciation, was Found him

This discussion about mispronunciation reminds me of an anecdote from my
brother years ago when he was a cadet at the US Merchant Marine Academy.

As part of his training, he did a stint aboard the US Navy ship, USS Skagit.
Having been raised in the Skagit Valley in Washington, he was surprised on
board to hear the ship referred to as the "Skaggit."

After an appropriate time aboard, he dared to talk to the chief officer
about this.  He gingerly began to explain that the ship's name should be
pronounced "Skajit."  He explained, "Sir, I was raised in Skagit County, I
fished the Skagit River, I read the Skagit Valley Herald, and the correct
pronunciation is 'Skajit.'"

The officer stood very straight, raised his shoulders and looked my brother
straight in the eye.  "Son, this is a NAVY ship, and the NAVY pronounces it
SKAGGIT."

End of discussion.

I've often wondered if that is how it is STILL pronounced.
Probably still is Marilyn;

My middle bro was in the AF and had a squad mate named Montague; his DI
called him Mon tag at roll call and he corrected him by saying it was
pronounced Mon ta gue, his DI respondew with Mon ta gue you're on Fat i gue.
Which for those who aren't familiar with the term is not a nice duty to
pull.

Actually we started out because Dale wanted to know where Dalkena, Pend
Oreille, Washington was and the location I specified for it made Pat think I
had moved Dalkena to Idaho.

And I don't remember who started the pronounciation saga.

Les