[or-roots] Unusual first names

Harguess, Dale dharguess at coastline.edu
Mon Jun 15 11:16:06 PDT 2009

I had forgotten about Green.  There are a bunch of Green Defords and I never thought that they might be nicknames, now as they say, back to the drawing board.

Dale

From another confessed unusual "first name" collector, isn't Zilphia one of the biblical names?

My family had some biblical doozies - Jeptha (J.C.), Enoch(Sprig), Ashnah and Zetta (Jenny) - all of them used nicknames - the ones in parentheses. Another branch from the deep south included ArieMae (Mae), WynoDean, MattieSue and WillaJean (Jean). ArieMae's brothers (after the firstborn son getting the father's name and being dubbed Junior) were named Red, Brown, Blue and Green... Red went on to name his daughter PinkieMae...

My grandmother  (ArieMae) said when you were expecting, you were supposed to holler the name you were thinking about as loud as you could from the back porch to see if anybody else answered to it - and if it was a good easy name to holler.  If nobody answered to it, then you could use that name for your kid.

Out of all that I've come across, my favorite unusual was Echo Gladness Royce.

carole
cjpjoppe at yahoo.com
... unwrap each day as a precious gift