[or-roots] More census whining

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Wed Jun 17 23:53:23 PDT 2009

Figure this one out;

In the 1880 Census in the burgeoning metropolis of Camas Valley I find
Wiley, W. John age 50 b. N. Carolina and his wife Harriet age 48 b. Enland
and one grand daughter and four children including A. Dorah age 12.

Now these folks are of interest to me becaue Phoebe's cousin R(obert) L.
Martindale is listed as groom on a marriage license to Dora A. Wiley
witnessed by J.W. Wiley and Nancy Martindale (Roberts mother whose maiden
name is Fitzhugh) and the affadavit of majority for Dora is signed by
Harriet as well as J. W.

Now as if it wasn't trouble enough for me that in 1900 Robert is clearly
married to a woman who doesn't match Dora. I figured that one out when I
foudn Dora Martindale dead 1890 in the Douglas Co. Cemetery index. So
Elizabeth J. is second wife.

The real problem I have is in 1900 I find a John Wiley age 70 still living
in the vicinity of Robert and some other Martindales, and all he nad his
wife have in common with Dora's parents are he being b. abt 1830 in North
Carolina, but in 1900 his parents birth places are different and he is
married to a Milicent (I thik, spelling a bit vague) and she is only 57 born
in Ohio.

So all the birthplace stuff could be explained away, but ageing 8 years in
20 seems a bit extredm.