[or-roots] Greenberry Lee

cklooster at aol.com cklooster at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 01:13:34 PDT 2009

Gee...I thought this list had gone to sleep for the summer but I skipped my e-mail for two days and found my mailbox full of Greenberry's (Greenberries?).? It made me chuckle because I was suckered in by the name Greenberry a year or two ago.?

 My mother has long researched one of her family names...Lee.? This is almost as difficult as trying to research ancestors named Smith.? There has been an ?anecdotal tradition in my mother's family that Lighthorse Harry Lee was an ancestor, but nothing solid to back it up.? Then came documented evidence that one of my mother's great-great uncles was named Greenberry Lee.? "Such an unusual given name", I thought, "it should be a cinch to make a connection."? I was really excited when I found?a connection between one Col. Greenberry Lee and Lighthorse Harry Lee.? Admittedly, the Colonel Greenberry Lee that I found was of the wrong generation, but I was?sure that any Lee subsequently named "Greenberry" would certainly be a descendent or at least a nephew or cousin in a collateral line.? Then I went to Ancestry.com and searched for Greenberry Lee...there were Greenberry Lees everywhere!? In looking for the source of the name, I found several sites dedicated to men named Greenberry along with the speculation that the name began as a tribute to Col. Nicholas Greenberry of Anne Arundel County, Maryland who gained Revolutionary War fame.? It seems that quite a number of proud new Lee parents named a baby boy Greenberry...whether or not they were related to the original...which may or may not have been the case with my mother's great uncle.

For my contribution to unusual names, I'd like to nominate Peleua Townsend b.08/03/1801 d.08/28/1884 (buried at Belle Passi Cemetery ) m. Truman Augustus Bonney; they crossed the plains to Sutter's Fort? in 1845, then came north by horseback to settle in the Woodburn area.? According to the granddaughter who was named for her, the name was pronounced "Plue - ah".

Carla

?

?

PeoplePC Online