[or-roots] interesting names

Layne G SAWYER layne.g.sawyer at state.or.us
Thu Jun 18 12:34:55 PDT 2009

Dear Rooters,

All these messages about unusual names has finally gotten me too!  In a special sesquicentennial project we have been working on for the past few years the volunteers have found some really interesting names and certainly a number of them make you wonder what the parent's were thinking of when they chose a name for their child.  Biblical names I can understand but these seemed a bit off...

Pontius Pilate Howard (b 1814 NY d 1909 in Washington State) came to Oregon in 1852 and had a donation land claim in Benton County.

There also were 3 different Herod's that lived in Oregon between 1850-1860

Herod Berkley
Herod Choate
Herod Johnson

Can anyone claim kinship to these gentlemen?

Just adding my two cents to the lively discussion.

Regards,

Layne Sawyer
"list mom"
Oregon State Archives