[or-roots] Hi Cousins!

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 13 20:41:15 PDT 2009

Leslie Chapman wrote:

>Some of the folk on here are cousins;

Most folks got cousins -- it's just finding them.  I was married maybe
twenty years before we figured out my wife, Chris, was my 8th cousin.

If you are from the southwest, Texas Gov "Bow-Tie" Smith, and New Mexico
Gov Tom Bolack are both my cousins, as was Pres Lincoln's personal
physician in Springfield and a US Senator from Oregon [again, topical] --

    DOLPH, Joseph Norton (uncle of Frederick William Mulkey), a [US]
Senator from
Oregon; born in Dolphsburg, Tompkins (now Schuyler) County, N.Y.,
October 19,
1835; attended the common schools and the Genesee Wesleyan Seminary,
Lima, N.Y.
taught school and studied law; was admitted to the bar in Binghamton,
N.Y., in
November 1861 and commenced practice in Schuyler County, N.Y.; in 1862
enlisted
in Capt. M. Crawford's company, known as the Oregon Escort, raised under
an act
of Congress for the purpose of protecting against hostile Indians emigrants
crossing the Plains that year to the Pacific coast; filled the position of
orderly sergeant; settled in Portland, Oreg., in October 1862; city
attorney in
1864 and 1865; United States [p.1094] district attorney 1865-1868;
member of the
State senate in 1866, 1868, 1872, and 1874; engaged in various enterprises;
elected as a Republican to the United States Senate in 1882; reelected
in 1888
and served from March 4, 1883, to March 3, 1895; unsuccessful candidate for
reelection in 1894; resumed the practice of law in Portland, Oreg., where he
died on March 10, 1897; interment in Riverview Cemetery. -- Biographical
Directory
of the American Congress, 1774-1949 Biographies D page1094

 His nephew Fredrick William Mulkey (1874-1924) was elected in 1907 and
again in 1918 to two short terms as First Position Senator.  (This could
be interesting to check out more fully, as it would seem some political
maneuvering was involved.)

Need I go on?

There is a semi famous (crackpot) physicist, whose name I don't seem to
recall (at that moment - he's Francis Eugene Nipher) from the 1800's who
is sometimes still cited as an authoritative source by science fiction
time travel fanatics -- he married a cousin and their daughter, Mrs.
Harry M. (Edith) Pollard, is sorta well-known in Boulder, CO. There is
some serious mis-information in these folk's genealogies, so if you
happen to be another cousin, please contact me.

The early folks in Oregon are a lot like the pre-1650 folks in New
England -- if you have ancestors in either group, they are probably
related to half of the folks in that group, and the other half are
related to the spouse.

Fare thee well, Ramblin' Man,

Bill Strickland