[or-roots] Priairie City

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Fri Nov 20 19:17:06 PST 2009

McArthur only lists Dixie Creek for that neck of the woods, and yes it was
named because of the many southerners there in the mining excitement of the
1860's.

USGS places it about 8/5 miles NE of Prairie city. On a topo map they seem
to place it east of Dixie Butte and NE of Dixie summit. That would indicate
that Dixie Summit is pretty close to where they put it. As it is listed as a
locale, rather than a community I would suspect pinning it down to a site is
unlikely.

I will see what BLM original entry plat has in the area as soon as I
reinstall USA photo maps.

Les

Prairie City is Dixie Town? that is not what my great-grandma told me.

Dixie Town was at the summit named Dixie Summit aka Dixie Hill, above
Prairie City. That is where her grandfather died.

David Samuelsen