[or-roots] Priairie City

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Fri Nov 20 20:27:46 PST 2009

Dale; Do you have any other clues about her birth location? The BLM original
plats don't give much clue, I thought Dixie would be in T 11 S, R 34 E, but
the original entry plat is made up in 1882 and seems to be completely forest
land, the next township south has a number of names though;

L. Bantes, Joel M(W)ail, Gales Mill, C.E. Williams, Willis Baker, Philisters
House, Hamilton Camp. These names are clustered in the NE corner of the
Township, more or less from Dixie Summit and to the north east.

I have concentrated on the 1860's, but in fact that might not be relevant.
When was your Grandmother born? I might be able to find something relevant
in the land infor as there are surveys back to 1851 in that township and
sometimes they have good info on people in the area.

Les C

I found out a few years ago (when I sent for my grandmothers original Social
Security Application) that she was born in "rural Grant County".  Once I
started really doing genealogy and was working on her Howell family I came
across Dixie Town.  I couldn't help but wonder if that wasn't where she was
born since her father's family came originally from Arkansas.  She had an
uncle who settled in Grant County but the rest of the clan moved to Morrow
County to Hardman.
I sure wish I could prove her exact birth place but I guess it will just
have to be a speculation on my part.
Thanks,
Dale