[or-roots] Updates to Coos County, Oregon

Robyn Greenlund rgreenlund61 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 28 08:15:57 PST 2009

Happy Holidays all!

Since the holidays are one of the busiest
times of the year for genealogical web sites, I've tried to add some
new information to the Coos county website for people to discover.
Here's a summary of what's been added/updated this month.....

1. New G.A.R. post members page for Col. Jewell GAR post [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/military/gar.html]
2. New 1949 Myrtle Point Phone book page, Surnames A-D [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/census/phone/1949phone.html]
3. New Grange members page from 1874 [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/military/grange.html]
4. Added new Coos county Mason/Masonic Lodge members page [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/military/masons.html]. Includes offices held, membership years and the city they were from
5. Added additional schools to the Coos county Schools list, with new photos of several [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/schools/schools.html]
6. Several corrections and additions to the Upper Fishtrap Cemetery near Arago [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/cemetery/fishtrapcemetery-upper.html]
7. Added four more biographies to the Pioneer History of Coos and Curry County page from 1898 [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/1898his/1898bio.html]
8. Added 6 new members to the American Legion webpage [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/military/coquilleamericanlegion.html]
9. Added several new obituaries to the Coos County Obituary page [http://genealogytrails.com/ore/coos/death/obituaries.html]

I've also redesigned the Coos County Cemeteries web page so that it now has links to all of the known cemetery transcriptions for Coos counties 90+ cemeteries. This includes the listings on ORGenweb, the older version on USGenweb, the text version in the ORGenweb archives, Interment.net, Genealogytrails.com, and, two both the USGebweb Tombstone transcription project photos and Find-a-grave. I've included the closest town to where the cemetery is located, the number of memorials shown on the Find-a-grave pages, and the oldest graves in the cemetery. I've even added links to the Google maps that show approximately where the cemeteries are located. So if you're looking for ancestors in Coos county, just Google "cemeteries in coos county" to remember how to get to the page.

Why so much work on the cemeteries page? I'm happy to report that I was awarded a grant from the Oregon Parks and Recreation Department, Historic Cemeteries program, to purchase a hand-held GPS so that I can provide GPS and driving directions to all of the public Coos county cemeteries. I will also be using this tool to record the location of individual family plots in the Catching Creek cemetery, the Coquille Old Pioneer cemetery and the Upper Fishtrap cemetery. I will be using this information to update cemetery plot maps for each of the cemeteries and then both placing this information online, and making printed copies for the Coquille valley libraries, museums, mortuaries and genealogy clubs. If you are interested in doing something similar for a cemetery in your area, I will be happy to share my knowledge and help you do other cemeteries too.

As always, if you find an error or have additional information to share, I am always very thankful for submissions!

Robyn

Interested in Oregon History? Check out my webpages at
coquillevalley.org or genealogytrails.com (Coos & Curry Counties)