[or-roots] Hawthorne Asylum

MStang5165 at aol.com MStang5165 at aol.com
Fri Sep 18 08:14:40 PDT 2009

I am familiar with the book you cited - in fact, Sue Bell is a friend.  But
note that the title is the "Asylum Cemetery." It concerns the old  cemetery
there - the bodies were removed, cremated and placed in the  canisters -
and documented. I believe that this is just a small number of the  cremains
that are actually held by the Oregon State Hospital.

If you do a Google search for "cremains at Oregon State Hospital" you will
get 2,600 hits! The one from the New York Times (quoted from The
Oregonian) is quite good and gives the number as 3,489 cremains that are  there in
canisters. And the notation that many of the labels are no longer  legible.

The Public Notice in the Statesman Journal gives the following: Family
members may report their objection to the publication of a relative's
information by contacting  DHS at: _oshcremains at state.or.us_
(mailto:oshcremains at state.or.us) .  However, I have tried using this URL a number of times and it
does not  seem to work! Never brings up an Oregon State Hospital web  site.

                Mimi Stang