[or-roots] Finding ancestors in Revolutionary and Civil War

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 22 09:04:19 PDT 2009

Harguess, Dale wrote:

> Believe me I know that there have been a lot of errors in the past
> with documentation that wasn’t correct.

It does seem to me that folks of a more recent bent do not put the
premium on accuracy of their lineage that many of our forebears, such as
my great aunt, did.  And that does not include what has happened since
the internet came along --  don't get me wrong, I love digital genealogy
and the ability to search for records in an instant and find them,
something that used to often take a lifetime of research to find.

One of the genealogical changes that has been good to come out of the
internet is an emphasis on good documentation of one's lineage, vs the
word of above mentioned great aunt -- those that choose to ignore it are
just composing or passing on fairy tales, easily identified by the lack
of said documentation.

Bill Strickland