[or-roots] Christian Science

Harguess, Dale dharguess at coastline.edu
Tue Feb 2 10:29:15 PST 2010

I also did not mean to imply that the people they locked up were crazy
because of their religion.  The problem was the way people were viewed
at that time in history.  If you were not like everyone else, they
thought you were crazy and would lock you up.  Sometimes family members
who had differences of opinions even on politics would have their family
member committed.  I was doing research on an ancestor who was committed
in the Oregon State Asylum and lived there for thirty three years before
she finally died.  I never did find out what was really wrong with her
but I think she suffered from severe depression because her son was put
in prison at age 18 for horse theft.  He served his time and when he got
out he became a Baptist minister.  (more trivia)
Dale