[or-roots] Interesting article on early Douglas and Coos County (1879)

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Fri Feb 5 20:54:25 PST 2010

Robyn;

Thank you for posting that. Great Grand MMM was supposed to have been involved in the steam boat trip to Roseburg. Nina and I were talking about that the other day and she was wondering how big it was. Of course her question was stimulated by the fact she was under the impression we were still on the Umpqua when we were about half way to Drain on Elk Creek.

I wonder about the phrase "which it follows to its junction with the Umpqua" as I had always thought the "road" somewhat followed the route of highway 38 in terms of cutting across some of the major oxbows. Hmm, I wonder what I could find in the USGLO maps.

The story about taking the wagon down the beach from Windy bay to coos bay is very familiar as I have heard many stories about that trip, and it would follow the same route that Grandpa Hansen made on his heroic but futile ride to the doctor for girls buried at the mouth of North fork.

I assume by digitalis he is referring to foxglove, I hadn't realized it was introduced. The snake stories sound like tall tales to me, though I know some people feel that the rubber boa is a two headed snake, but trust me, it can't go in either direction.

Les