[or-roots] Finally, an Oregon Pioneer in the family

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 12 21:45:07 PST 2010

Darlene & Pat -- Thank You!

Y'all sure show up the disadvantage I am at due to my lack of
familiarity with Oregon & NW records and where to look, but maybe I can
help Darleene with a couple things

> The Josephine Co. marriage records list Edgar Vandorn to Lettie A.
> Simkins 04 Feb 1894 (I have her in my records as Lottie).

She is Charlotte A Simpkins in the 1880 Kansas census --

1880 US Census, Linn County, KS, Sheridan Twp,  pg 138B

>   Isaac's death certificate gives his burial place as Pleasant Valley
> Cemetery, Hugo, Josephine Co., OR.  I have not checked on Martha
> Jane.  Neither of these folks is listed on the Interment.net web site
> listing for this cemetery.

This Merlin/Hugo area seems to be where the Burr family first settled,
and Noah and Rebecca are buried there, too

 http://www.interment.net/data/us/or/josephine/pleas_val/pleas_lz.htm
Contributed by Jean Boling, May 26, 2007 [jeanboling at charter.net].

Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Hugo, Josephine County, Oregon

Simkins, Noah, b. 2/8/1844, d. 7/10/1910, Shared stone w/ Rebecca
Simkins, Plot B1/R3/L8
Simkins, Rebecca B, b. 10/10/1842, d. N/D, Possible DOD 3/27/1916, Plot
B1/R3/L8

> Census records show that Lottie (without Edgar) moved to Selah, Yakima
> Co., WA between 1910 & 1920, possibly to join her parents.

That's what I was looking for -- family in the Yakima Valley -- lends
some factual value and logic to Burr family trips to Yakima during the
early 1900's.  Even though Noah and Rebecca died shortly thereafter,
looks like Rosetta's sister Lottie was there for quite a while ...

Seems that more often than not, but not always, one sees Simpkins in the
records before Oregon and Simkins thereafter ...

Again, Thanks!

And yes, the Talent Historical Society is another alternative to the
SOHS closure, as well as the RVGS in Phoenix. -- and don't forget the
library at the college in Ashland (it will always be SOCE to me) -- my
folk's (and thus mine) first two homesites are now part of the campus,
as well as the site of the  hospital where I was born.  My knowledge and
acquaintances just don't go back another century.

Humbled by the generous use of your time,

Bill Strickland