[or-roots] Jump off Joe -- Merlin???

cklooster at aol.com cklooster at aol.com
Fri Feb 19 06:15:57 PST 2010

Bill...my former husband's grandfather, Dale Bonney (who was a long-time resident of Drew, OR) was giving me some family information and mentioned that he had a cousin who lived near Grants Pass; "down around Jump off Joe".  He didn't refer to it as Jump off Joe Creek...but more as the place name of an area. I have always had a curiousity about the name and have a lot of skepticism about the story of Joseph McLaughlin.  For one thing, there are such a number of places in Oregon and Washington called Jump Off Joe. I have wondered if it might have been a popular slang term of the time or if it referenced the nickname of a specific person.  When you look at the historic tendancy to bestow nicknames ("Lighthorse Harry" Lee; "Swampfox" Francis Marion, etc.) it seemed possible to me that there was actually someone whose nickname was Jumpoff Joe.  A few years ago I found reference to Jumpoff Joe McAlester (or McAllister...he is listed under both spellings) who was involved in the Modoc Indian uprising.  Food for thought...

Carla