[or-roots] Wheatland, Oregon

daviesw739 daviesw739 at aol.com
Fri Feb 26 20:39:14 PST 2010

Sorry Barb I got O'Neil mixed up with Nezbit maybe I should read my copy of the book more often.
Walt

In a message dated 02/26/10 20:07:55 Pacific Standard Time, barbhg1221 at comcast.net writes:
James O'Neil came to Oregon in 1834 with Nathaniel Wyeth and the Lee missionaries.

>From This Side of Oregon by Ralph Friedman, p 181-182:   About 1835 "he took up land at what became Wheatland.  In 1844 he sold his land to Daniel Matheny."

The same book states that in 1845 O'Neil completed the first gristmill in Polk county. The mill was on Rickreal Creek [near what became Ellendale].

O'Neil was also involved in the 1843 "Wolf" meetings at Champoeg, and his name is on the monument that commemerates those meetings at Champoeg State Park.

Aunt Charlotte's book doesn't mention the date of the sale but says, "While we were visiting Aunt Rachel's, Father saw and arranged to buy the big Mission house that was built for Dr. David Leslie, and the section of land that it stood on.  Land was to be had anywhere for the staking of it, so it was only the house and the barns that had value to us.  Jimmy O'Neal owned it then, and Father agreed to raise and deliver fourteen hundred bushels of wheat when Mr. O'Neal put up the flour mill that he was planning on."  [I do not have a copy of the book - only a copy of a few pages].  In another place she says, "When we bought the Mission house from Jimmy O'Neal, we also bought twenty or thirty head of horses and a herd of longhorned Texas cows.  The cows were very poor milkers and most of them were wild.  The horses were small Indian ponies.  Few of them had had ever been broken to ride, and none of them could be worked or driven."

Hope some of that helps.
Barbara Herring