[or-roots] Seventh-day Adventist Church obituary searching

Denise Sproed denisesproed at onlinenw.com
Sun Jan 17 12:30:46 PST 2010

I received an email today that prompted me to share the following information with other researchers who may not be familiar with this online resource.  I once read a Church History book about Seventh-day Adventist's in the Northwest and it said research showed that at one time (I believe it was around the 1870's) one in ten of the inhabitents of the Northwest belonged to the Seventh-day Adventist denomination.  It is possible that other Oregon researchers might find information on early NW relatives via these resources.  The online obituary index covers the entire US.

Below are the general instructions for how I use the resources.

Looking for Obituaries in the Seventh-day Adventist Periodicals

The Online index can be accessed at:

http://www.andrews.edu/library/car/sdapiobits.html

Older obituaries are often in the Advent Review & Sabbath Herald (listed under Review & Herald in the Periodicals)

In more recent years the obituaries would appear in regional periodicals like:

North Pacific Union Gleaner  (covers Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana)

Pacific Recorder (covers California, Hawaii, and I think Arizona)

Lake Union Herald

And others

Once you know the periodical you want to locate go to the following link:

http://www.adventistarchives.org/DocArchives.asp

On the left side of the web page you will want to page down until you see:

Official Church Magazines and Periodicals

Click on the Periodical you want to search through - you can then put the year in the Search through for box - the index was made YEARS before the periodicals were digitized so the index gives the date but not the volume and issue.  You must search around somewhat to find the correct issue and then search within the periodicals pages to find the obituary you seek.

Hopefully this resource will be of help to someone on our OR-Roots List.

Denise Sproed Merritt

A member of the Association of Professional Genealogists

The web page I made for my parents is at:  http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~merritt/

My genealogy related pages are at:
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~merritt/
and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~merritt/
The latter created using John Cardinal's Second Site

User of The Master Genealogist (TMG) http://www.whollygenes.com/