[or-roots] Matney

Marsha Bradley-Luthy pmml at meritel.net
Sat Jan 30 20:41:46 PST 2010

Polk County Oregon Marriages
1846-1855
MATHNEY, Walter and COOPER, Julia 07 Mar 1853
1884
"Illustrated history of Lane County, Oregon" by J.S. Smith; pub. Portland,
Or.: A.G. Walling (LH11386, HeritageQuest images 5/2007; FHL book 979.531
H2w and film 924,601 item 1)
Pg.143: This great train of hardy pioneers ... complete roll of names was
taken at the time by J.W. Nesmith, ... James Duncan, ... Daniel Matheny,
Adam Matheny, J.N. Matheny, Josiah Matheny, Henry Matheny, ... J.B.
Pennington, ... The above list includes nearly every male resident of Oregon
in 1843, ...
Pg.379: 1866 to 1868: County Assessor, G. C. Duncan, 679 (not pg.679, no
indication of what this number refers to)DLC#4542; Yamhill Co., Ore.
COOPER, William S., born 1813, Clark Co., Ind.; married May Ann June 1840,
Pike Co., Ill.; settled claim 16 Sept. 1850. James McKinley gave affidavit
17 April 1869 that May Ann Cooper died 13 years ago. Affidavit:
Rueben H. Couch, Reuben Case, Wm. Crozier. DLC#4901; Polk Co., Ore. COOPER,
Jacob *(X), born 1823/24, Ohio; arrived Ore. Dec 1847; settled claim 15 Nov.
1852. Affidavit:
Rueben H. Couch, Joseph Kirkwood, Wm. C. Hamilton, Wm. R. McCarty.

Jackson Co. Genealogy Librarary
Matheny, __________ 8 311 Matheny, __________ 366 Matheny, Bruce C., M/M 21
15 Matheny, Bruce, M/M 22 14 Matheny, Dorland, Mrs. 21 10 Matheny, E. A. 18
33 Matheny, I. C. 18 15, 33 Matheny, J. H. 6 214 Matheny, J. N. 26 6
Matheny, Jesse F. 21 15 Matheny, Jessie 22 14 Matheny, L. M. 25 33 Matheny,
N. G. 18 15 Matheny, O. W. 24 47 Matheny, O. W., M/M 25 33 Matheny, O. W.,
M/M 22 14 Matheny, Orval W., M/M 21 15
Mr Lincoln and Friends
When Baker returned to Illinois, his friendship with Mr. Lincoln was
speedily revived. "On Christmas Eve, 1860, Baker arrived in Springfield to
visit his step-daughter, Maria. Violating protocol, Mr. Lincoln went to the
home of Maria and her husband, James Matheny. He walked in without bothering
to knock. Greeting the new senator from Oregon, President-elect Lincoln said
he 'would rather see Baker elected Senator than any man alive.'" wrote
Baker's biographers, Harry C. Blair and Rebecca Tarshis.12 A contemporary
journalist, Henry Villard wrote: "'Ned,' as he was familiarly called
hereabouts in former days, was most cordially greeted, by his old friend,
the President-elect, and a host of relatives and acquaintances." Villard
found Baker more impressive tFhan his Springfield fried: Baker "is certainly
a remarkable man and has made a remarkable career. Of restless ambition,
indomitable energy, true English perseverance, fine natural parts, great
elegance and popular manners, he could not well fail to make his mark."13

Falls City Cemetery, Falls City, Polk County, Oregon The Falls City Cemetery
is located on Falls City Highway about 3.5 miles west of the intersection
with Highway 223 south of Dallas, OR and about 1/4 mile east of Falls City.
>From the highway turn north up the hill on a gravel road (looks like a
driveway and is directly opposite the Old IOOF cemetery on the south side of
the highway). The cemetery is about 3/10 mile at the end of the road. This
cemetery is still in use. Some of the older stones are broken, some
unreadable and some are gone entirely. We discovered some stones under
bushes that had been planted on the graves. There are a number of metal
framed cards placed by the funeral homes. Most of them have deteriorated and
are illegible. This listing is as of March 29, 2006. Matheny Donald E Nov.
29, 1916 Jun. 15, 1975 Matheny James Alan Feb. 2, 1946 Apr. 30, 2004 "SP5
1860 CENCUS
Yamhill4441 3406 Matheny Michael 52 M Farmer 1,000 250 Kentucky 6 4441 3406
Matheny Mahala 51 F Kentucky 7 4441 3406 Matheny Melissa 14 F Illinois X 8
4441 3406 Matheny Jasper 8 M Oregon X 9 4441 3406 Ringgold Louis 28 M Farmer
Maryland 10 4442 3407 Mc Kinlay J 33 M Farmer 800 900 Virginia 11 4442 3407
Mc Kinlay Charlotte 26 F Mathney, John J., p.509.
Klamath County Museums
Research Resources

Matney, John, juror, p.238,246,248,264,294. et al.