[or-roots] more on DLC's

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sun Jan 31 20:21:20 PST 2010

As with any source (I was going to say secondary, but it applies to primary
sources too) you have to be sceptical about information in the DLC book. As
is pointed out in the introduction there are a number of sources for error,
if the claimant didn't spell their name out, or didn't spell period, and it
was left up to the recorder to write what they heard. Mistakes can be made,
and of course the folks making up the book could have compounded the errors.

I certainly know how easy that is.

Okay, I had a shining example and it turns out to be another case of my not
reading it right the first time.

Maybe I'll go to bed early tonight, like before 11.

Anyway I am willing to look for things in the Spectator and will try to go
back at least a ways in my email files to see if folks have anybody I can
find in there.

I will note that spelling in the paper was also a bit imaganitive.

By the way the paper only covered 1846-1854