[or-roots] Genealogy trip

Steve & Ronda Howard whizinc at comcast.net
Tue Sep 21 07:34:38 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

This summer my Mom, Dad, my youngest daughter and myself went on a genealogy
trip.  I ended up driving 6,808 miles in 3 ½ weeks.  We went to 12 states.
My Mom has had several strokes and I wanted to go while she was still able
to tell me the stories I’ve heard for years in the places they happened.
They have taken these trips every few years since the late 80’s.  I got to
see a house my Mom lived in, the farm where my grandmother was born and
raised, the graves of my g grandparents, my gg grandparents and two of my
ggg grandparents.  We drove around land that used to be in the family.  We
went to libraries, historical societies, and courthouses.  It was my first
time hunting in a courthouse.  We were in a small courthouse in Kentucky.  I
looked through a file folder of wills from the early and mid 1800’s, all
handwritten in pencil.  It was a thrill.  We met shirttail cousins and saw a
lot of country.  Mom and Dad were tired, but we all had a wonderful trip and
I highly recommend going before it’s too late.

Ronda

PS  I also recommend avoiding the poison ivy.  =)