[or-roots] Family Search boo boos

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 22:46:11 PST 2011

Just a heads up to remind you the indexing folks at family search don't always get it right. As I understand it the data doesn't get published until it has been indexed by two different people and their results compared. My first foray into advising them of a problem turned out to be simply a very hard to read page, but since then I have found several clearly mistaken entries and unfortunately it turns out they have no easy mechanism to change or correct entries. The only way to do it at this time is to redo and reload a whole data base apparently though maybe just a whole file within the database.

Kinda poor planning in my not so humble opinion, but there I go looking a gift horse in the mouth. One of my something or other cousins is really bad;

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FLL1-XWG

indexed as being in Orange when I am pretty sure it is Orfordville which is now Orford and I can guarantee she didn't give birth to her fourth child nine years before she was born.

Anyway me point is if you know where and when someone should be and they don't show up, it might be because the got indexed a long way in both space and time from where they should be. At least Orford isn't far from where the second child was born.

Les