[or-roots] research help

SAWYER, Layne G laysaw at sos.state.or.us
Tue Jul 19 10:07:58 PDT 2011

ViolaRae,

If you haven't already checked out the County Historical Records Inventory for Malheur County you should check that as well. It will give you information on each of the records series listed and where they are housed plus it also includes information on who to contact in the various county offices.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/county/cpmalheurdescrip.html

Also if you are looking at our online index keep in mind that it represents only about 25% of our holdings.  So there may be additional records that are not indexed online.  Reference staff can help you with what other records might be useful in you search.  They will need to ask you about the time period and the geographic area you are researching to be able to determine if there are other records that we can suggest.

The only birth records we have in our holdings are the delayed births and City of Portland births.  These are all on the online index so if you don't find any birth records there they probably do not exist (if the birth occurred prior to 1903).  If the birth was after 1903 you will need to contact the Office of Health Statistics.  They still have the birth records.

This link gives you a listing of what "vital records" the Archives holds and some additional explanations and resources.

http://arcweb.sos.state.or.us/vital.html

Hope you have a successful research visit and maybe I will get a chance to say "Hi" if I am wandering through the research room.

Regards,

Layne Sawyer
"List Mom"
Oregon State Archives