[or-roots] An Oregon question for a change

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 6 15:56:58 PST 2011

Okay I am back on those darn children of great Uncle Nick again.
I am really going to have to try and contact some of his living descendants. Supposedly my sister-in-law has talked to some of them, but hasn't been forthcoming with her contact info.
Most likely because like me she has no idea where it is.
first of all I want to again post the photos I am trying to identify in the vain hope one of those descendants will stumble across this and contact me;http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k617/Mashtali/Photos%20from%20Caddie/
is the album which anyone in Clackamas county genealogy or historical society might also like to look at for some of the scenes.
specifically;http://s1118.photobucket.com/albums/k617/Mashtali/Photos%20from%20Caddie/?action=view&current=Congerprvdd003.jpg
(paste both lines in the URL to get there;)  is the family as I suspect it appeared possibly for someone's wedding say about 1930?  It could be a funeral, but I have no record of who it might be. either way. I figure this picture shows eight grand children for Uncle Nick of whom I have a record for five or six,  I speculate that the dapper young man sitting on far right is Austin Dean b abt 1911,  there should be two girls Dorothy b abt 1918, Janelle b abt 1921 her brother drowned in Tahkenitch lake in 1932 so it is possible this could be on the occasion of his death I suppose, but I suspect he is the one being held on the porch rail and maybe his sister just to the left of him (his right) if it is him judging his age as twoish would make this photo 1929ish since he was b abt 1927 that leave Harry abt 1919 and Nick Gordon July 1919 as the two youngest boys.
What I am looking for at the moment however is more info on the wives.Thanks to all the wonderful folks on this list I have plenty of info now on Maude Ellen Fromong, mother of Austin, Dorothy, Harry and Nicholas who I suspect is the woman with glasses in the picture. The next big mystery is Oscar's wife. I have her as Mary Frances Cassidy from the genealogy I got from the Lyster family (our connection to the greater Smith River, OR clan) but no further information Oscar Orville was b.4/4/1887 in Gardiner and d.13 Dec 1948 in Clackamas Co. I have him in 1892 with parents and sibs in Grays Harbor Co (Chehalis?)  WA census, 1900 in  Beaver Cr prct, Clackamas Co and he is found with Uncle Bert in Gardiner in 1910, but for the life of me I cannot find him in 1920. The LDS info lists a Mary Frances Cassidy ma Irivin Schultz in 1909 as the only marriage for a woman by that name. Of course it is not a complete data base.I did find a likely candidate for
 this bride; in 1900 in Gardiner and 1910 Florence there is a Hugh Cassidy family with Mary E. b Sept 1891 OR Mary E - Mary F doesn't seem too big a stretch. Unfortunately I cannot find either her or Orville in 1920 to give me any clue whether I have the right Cassidy.
The next question I should be able to track down here in Douglas County quite easily (famous last words) and it is the maiden name of the mother of the drowned boy mentioned earlier. John Lyster Melvin ma abt 1917 Clare E. ? she d 5 July 1970 in Multnomah Co, he in 1967 Washington Co. If someone can turn up some info on her though it is sure to save me a lot of leg work.
Last but not least from the Lytser family tree I have a lot of my basic (mis?) information from I have Clarence Willie (cousin Caddie, not to be confused with great uncle Willie Clarence who always insisted he too was Clarence Willie as he for sure was no dam WC) married to Anna ?  Now family legend is Cad died unmarried, so I suspect this is probably name coincidence.
It is due to the bachelorhood of Caddie that I have access to all these unlabeled photos.
Thank you all in advance for any help I might get.
Leslie Chapman