[or-roots] Genealogy and Mr. Dewey

Marjorie Enneking marj at europa.com
Mon Nov 14 08:14:28 PST 2011

The library numbering system you describe sounds very much like the
one we use at the Genealogical Forum of Oregon here in Portland.  If
you are interested, check out our web site, www.gfo.org.  If you click
on "Check out our library catalog" on the left side of the home page,
and then click on any category, such as "973-979," you can see both
how the books are numbered and browse the titles we have.  Note that
there are listings for things that are state-wide (or multi-county),
by county, and by city.  Also by geographic region for things that are
multi-state.

Some of our holdings, both books and microfilm, have been indexed by
our volunteers, and these indexes are also on line.

Have fun browsing on line, and come visit us in our new location in
Southeast Portland!  Marj