[or-roots] Oregon Death Index & Marriage Index

Barbara Herring barbhg1221 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 21 17:15:32 PDT 2011

For those of you that have Ancestry.com, I noticed a couple of evenings ago that their Oregon Death Index has been updated.  It now goes through 2008 rather than 1998.

Also, they have greatly expanded Oregon's Marriage Index.  It now also goes through 2008.  I have found some holes in this index and the need to be careful with the county it lists.  For example, my marriage license was taken out in Benton Co. in the late 1960s, but I was married in Lane Co.  The index has Benton Co. which is where the marriage information was returned to not where the marriage took place.  However, while my daughter's marriage license was taken out in Yamhill Co. in the mid 1990s and she was married in Lane Co., the index lists Lane Co. for her so the index is not consistent.  With these caveats, I am finding the index very useful.

Barbara Herring