[or-roots] to ditto or not to ditto

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 8 18:07:01 PDT 2012

Yes, if you can clearly read what the census taker wrote, you are required to spell it just the way it is in the record, I have a dispute with my arbitrator over whether De Loris had a space in it or not, but that was how either Delores spelled her name, or the census taker thought it should be spell so that is the way I wrote it, the arbitrator removed the space but left the L in caps which is certainly right. My ggf Milan Melvin is spelled indexed Milen Milven in the 1880 index and most of the rest of the family is just as bad, ironically Milan junior is clearly Milin and the index calls him Milvin.
That was what I meant when talking with David about this last night, if I had been indexing that page I would clearly have tried to slip ggf name past the arbitrator with the correct spelling, I finally found them by brute force in the index as for some reason even with exact spelling off the Family search couldn't find the family for me, once I had the index page it was easy finding the image in HQ, but I bet I spent four or five fruitless hours searching before that because it never occurred to me the census taker in the burgeoning metropolis of Gardiner, OR could butcher his name that bad.
Les C