[or-roots] GenelaogyBank.com and Ancestry.com, etc.

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Fri Jan 13 18:33:02 PST 2012

First of all, I will say that I am just a researcher and in no way
connected with any websites. I have the US subscription to Ancestry.com and I  have
a subscription to GenealogyBank.com, as well as Fold3.com and
WorldVitalRecords.com. I must say I do not use the latter two enough to make it  pay and
will need to think hard about renewal.

When I'm doing strictly genealogical research, I use mainly Ancestry.com
because I use Family Tree Maker 11 and they interface so nicely. Then if  I'd
like to find an obituary, as Dale requested, GenealogyBank is the one.
Sometimes Ancestry.com finds a link to ObituaryDailyTimes, but I've never been
able to even see and obituary there -- without another subscription.

I also do a lot of strictly historical research about Junction City and the
 greater area before Junction City was incorporated. And, believe it or
not, The  Oregonian had quite a lot about all the areas of the state in those
early  newspapers. If you go to GenealogyBank.com, click on Historical
Newspapers as  soon as it loads and then you can choose a state. If I'm
researching someone who  lived in the Portland area, I often click on both Oregon and
Washington. Like I  mentioned before, the search engine is somewhat quirky
(but I've pretty well  learned different ways to search) and clipping
newspaper articles takes some  doing, but I'm getting used to it and appreciating
it.

Like all the subscription sites, each researcher needs to find what works
for them at any given time.
I hope that helps some. If you have further specific questions, I'd be
happy to answer off the list.
Linda VanOrden
Junction City, OR
_LinLouVan at aol.com_ (mailto:LinLouVan at aol.com)

In a message dated 1/13/2012 4:10:54 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,