[or-roots] Portland Area Orphanages c. 1923

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 17:01:47 PST 2012

Before I ditched the search that got me the page I posted earlier I thought I would browse a bit more to see what I could find, good thing I did, not sure why this was not on the blue Book page;
Hi Yes the Waverly Baby home was there. I hope you have better luck then I did. The home was started in 1887. It is now called the Waverly Childrens Home. Although they do not do adoptions any more from what I understand, they still have all the old records. But for the early 1920's there is not much to go on. They do have a little. You can contact them at.....
Waverly Children's Home
3550 SE Woodward Street
Portland, OR 97202
Toni Swope
(503) 234-7532
You will need to have some records such as your birth certificate and any record that will connect you to him for proof of family. Just call Toni she is great to work with.

that info comes from;
http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=1&p=topics.orphans.us.or
and there is some other discussion there that it would probably be useful for you to read and some other people with the same search goals.*          *                   *              *
Here is another one not on that list, perhaps because it wasn't around in 1929;
Grace & Hope for Children - 465 N.E. 181st #210
http://www.grace-hope.org/

Not directly apropos of your quest, but relevant to the topic;
http://www.faqs.org/childhood/Me-Pa/Orphanages.html

*    *    *    *Okay there is a mystery story that I suspect is part of the genealogy of another member of the list, but the links are all dead now and I don't remember who is researching these names;louella brunner pinder parrett           the point being a mystery  ancestor
About all I could find, will search google books in a bit to see if I find anything else.