[or-roots] Dean's Creek

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 27 12:55:38 PST 2012

We had a discussion on the "you know you're from Reedsport when" page on facebook last night about whether it is Dean Creek or Dean's Creek that is next to the Elk refuge east of town. In the course of my search to find out who "Dean" was I ran across this;
http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/9908/Rem_Whe.pdf?sequence=1

Haven't read to see if it answered my question yet (do any of you know?) but I am sure some of you will find useful information there.
On  a not entirely unrelated subject, does anyone know much about the history of Elkhead beyond the fact it was named for being at the headwaters of Elk Creek? How big it ever got, what it's reason for existence was etc. It has it's own precinct in the 1920 census but I suspect the 100 plus people are not all in one location.